Friday, December 16, 2011

This Time I Won't Cry

With a week to go before Christmas, I am filled with anticipation of our annual family gathering.  My brother, Tom, and his wife, Linda, will once again be hosting it.  But according to the Turner Schedule, we will be missing many of our children and grandchildren as they were here on Thanksgiving.  Enjoy this ninth post in our series of Christmas posts.

In the Book of James we are told “our lives are like a mist that appears for a while and then vanishes”.  When I think of those who have passed before us over the steady beat of time it is easy to understand the truth of that verse.  As Christmas approaches each of us observe family traditions, look back over fond memories and forward to the day.  Christmas is a marker every year helping us to reflect on our “time in the mist”. 


              
Ask 10 people what traditions they remember as the special day approaches and you will get 20 different answers.  There’s the trip to the country to cut your own Christmas tree, baking cookies, shopping downtown with lunch at the quaint diner. Others wryly admit that their tradition usually involves being stuck in traffic or at the airport traveling home.  Regardless of the answer, it always seems to amaze everyone how quickly yet another year has vanished.

The Waltons
Christmas Vacation
It's a Wonderful Life

One of my favorite traditions is watching the TV classics that have become mandatory viewing at the Jones household each season.  Whether it is Chevy Chase in “Christmas Vacation” or The Waltons “Homecoming” or the 1946 Classic “It’s a Wonderful Life," these shows are a part of our annual tradition.  Each time I watch Chevy Chase begin his shenanigans with the house and tree decorations, I say "I’m not going to laugh."  But sure enough -- when the squirrel jumps out of the tree and the resulting slapstick turmoil destroys the house, I am beside myself with laughter.  Jimmy Stewart in “It’s a Wonderful Life” has to be my favorite.  When we see how George Bailey has influenced the little town of Bedford Falls through his life and how his friends come through for him, I cry, even though I’ve told myself, “This time I won’t cry.”

On Christmas day, as our family gathers around the table to celebrate our traditions and thank our creator for our blessings, I will pause to think of my family and yours and how grateful I am for all of you. But this time I won’t cry.

3 comments:

  1. what a great table! and how nice the house is laid out so it can go through rooms and doors!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! Now if only I could get my family to watch the movies with me. They are a tradition I would like to share, but I think they're too young to appreciate them. Well, except for the cartoons! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. For me, add White Christmas and Holiday Inn. I had to buy them on DVD this year. The VHS had worn out!

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation. Comments are appreciated and keep me motivated.