Saturday, February 27, 2016

Who Are We?



Several years ago, I sent a sample of my DNA to 23andme and had some surprises in my ethnicity estimates. (For the uninitiated, one must remember that these are ESTIMATES in an ever-evolving science). I was not surprised that I was classified as 99.7% European, (just look at me), but I was surprised that such a large percentage was designated as "British and Irish."

Over the past couple of years, I have spent a lot of time researching our paternal colonial ancestors. I had no idea that so many of my ancestors arrived here from England in the 1600s! Some of our English surnames include: Almy, Bickerdyke, Chambers, Darby, Havens, Wainwright and West. Many settled in Monmouth County, New Jersey where they intermarried. This concentrated that English DNA. Many started out as Quakers but soon included Baptists, Methodists and Presbyterians.

Vincent Wainwright, our 4th great-grandfather, fought in the Revolutionary War. A cousin of Vincent was killed in a battle at Toms River, New Jersey. So our very diverse Jones family of Germans, Irish, Welsh and Scots has roots that extend back to the 1600s in America. It is these colonial ancestors that I hope to share over the next few months.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Join the conversation. Comments are appreciated and keep me motivated.