Saturday, January 1, 2011

New Years Day 2011


New Years Day is always special for me.  Twenty-four years ago my husband had the foresight to choose January 1st as our wedding day.  He thought it was a good idea to pick a date we would not forget. Both of us had been married before and each of us had a child from a previous marriage.

For us, at least, getting married the second time was nothing like the first.  Instead of a big wedding, we got married in front of the fireplace at my mother's house.  Only family and a couple of really close friends attended.  Even the judge was a personal friend of my husband.

Bill and I had been together for 5 1/2 years and were in no hurry to get married again. I had been divorced since my daughter was a year old.  Bill and I started dating before my daughter was three years old (his daughter was an adult).   By now both of us owned our own homes and life was pretty good.

Liz, Ian and the Train
A few weeks before the wedding, Bill and I went shopping to find a train to give my daughter for Christmas.  Over a bowl of chili, we discussed the pros and cons of getting married.  We were getting tired of two lawns to cut, two utility bills and duplicates of every device.  Driving back and forth was becoming more and more of a hassle, so in a weak moment, it seemed as if the pros outweighed the cons.

We had a dog, Scruffy, who had been a stray.  He was one of those once-in-a-lifetime dogs.  More than once Bill suggested that we get married, supposedly so he could have Scruffy.  Even the dog got depressed when he went home.

Today is our 24th wedding anniversary!  We didn't do anything special because Bill is suffering from a pretty bad cold.  I decided to pull out the wedding pictures.  Once again I was shocked at the changes over 24 years.

Julie, Frances, Bill, Kath, Virginia, and Liz
Twenty-four years ago both of our mothers were alive.  My daughter was a little girl. How life has changed.  Even Scruffy, who served as the "Best Man", was still alive. 


So I asked my husband whether or not he has any regrets. He says he does not.  I can honestly say that both of us are happy with the commitment we made on January 1, 1987. 

Given our ages and some health problems we've both experienced along the way, neither of us takes anything for granted.  Yet we are grateful -- for each other and the lives we've shared.

I wish all of you a Happy New Year 2011!   We'll see where it takes us.


Posted by Picasa

Photo Credit: www.zastavki.com

4 comments:

  1. Happy Anniversary, a little late. I wish all the best for both of you in 2011!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this piece! Happy belated anniversary Kathy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. happy belated anniversary. I had to read this post, because my father said his family liked to marry at the first of the year. But I see no family ties. [smile]

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm way late saying "happy Anniversary" but since I just celebrated mine (on May 30th) I found your story lovely! Note: I got married in front of a fireplace too -- my parents' -- 36 years ago -- in my Mom's 1942 Wedding dress!

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation. Comments are appreciated and keep me motivated.