Monday, March 7, 2011

Tom's Birthday -- My Irish Twin


It's Tom's Birthday! It's that time of the year when for three weeks just this side of spring that we are the same age. My mother used to say that we were "Irish twins" -- a term used for siblings born less than 12 months apart. There was no time in my life that I don't remember Tom being a part of it.

In a comment to a post about another family birthday, Tom's daughter, Melissa, asked, "Was my Dad ever a kid?" That's what happens when you are one of the "big kids." All family pictures show you as older than everyone else. So I tried to take up Melissa's challenge and see if I could find pictures of her Dad as a kid.

Tom

The pictures in the collage at the top of the page include one of my favorites of Tom and I sitting on the steps of our Grandmother's house in Wyoming.  The other picture was "clipped" from a family movie.  Tom is parading in on Easter Sunday with his cousins, Chuck and Bill.  I was also able to crop a picture of Tom as a little boy from another family picture.



Dogs were always a part of our growing up.  T-Bone was one of the dogs of our youth.   Here he is pictured with Tim and Tom.





As an adult, Tom has loved and owned horses. Pictured is Tom on a horse on a family vacation to the apple orchard home of the Crowell's in Carbondale, Illinois. Mary Davis Crowell was one of Mom's best childhood friends.


I don't know where to draw the line.  My goal is to share some pictures that I'm sure most of my siblings have never seen.  So let me add a couple more.



I had forgotten that Tim and Tom played on Kiwanis Little League baseball teams. The picture almost looks like everyone was told to stand at attention.












Let me complete this birthday tribute with one of my favorite pictures. Tom has never been able to escape his role as the big brother -- thankfully for all of us, it's been a role he's always played well. I think I can speak for all of us when I say, "Happy birthday, Tom and we LOVE you."



Kath

4 comments:

  1. Happy birthday, Tom! I love all the old photos.....brings back fond memories of our youth! Kath, I can never thank you enough for all these great post and blogs. We all enjoy them so much,and can continue to remember what great people we come from! I ran into Ted at the Home and Garden show, this past weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have really enjoyed seeing these pics. Especially the one of my dad in the Kiwanis shirt. I think he looks a little like Brian Jones in that picture. What a cute kid.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is the third post I've read this week with the term "Irish twin". It made me laugh, and I'm sure that St. Patrick's day is right around the corner now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kathy,
    These are such great photos! I love the station wagon. Such a classic! Happy Birthday Tom, even though you don't know me. I have a March bday too. Thanks again for the heads up on the geneabloggers mention of my site!

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation. Comments are appreciated and keep me motivated.