Tuesday, January 24, 2012

The 64th Anniversary of Mom and Dad's Wedding


My mother and father were married 64 years ago today.  On a post I wrote a year ago, I talked about a movie called The Bride Wore Boots.  My mother always said she had to wear boots to her wedding.  Although I always felt like I had seen a picture of this, it wasn't until my brother, Tom, dug up a photo album containing Mom and Dad's wedding pictures that I was able to see that the picture was more than something in my mind's eye.

Hiding behind one of the pictures was a newspaper article from the January 24, 1948 Cincinnati Enquirer. In the clipping it says that "the mercury is sliding toward zero, perhaps five below. The wind not only chills bones, it freezes type."  The picture on the left shows ice choking the Ohio River.

The weather didn't seem to be negatively affecting the bride.  Her smile is so warm as she climbs the steps to begin a new life.

Since last year's post, four more great-grandchildren have been added to the Jones family -- two boys and twin girls.  The newest addition is my grandson, Andrew, born 8 weeks early on December 29th.

I miss them both so much.  Wish they were here to see this.

Virginia and Johnny Jones


10 comments:

  1. Dear Kathy,

    Absolutely beautiful! Your mom looks radiant, despite the bad weather. Thank you for sharing this lovely tribute to your Mom and Dad. I'm sure they are smiling down at you today, and feel very proud of you and your family.

    Cheers to you this day,
    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful post, and that news article tucked into the photo album, a real find. Our twin grands were born on a horrible winter day, as was their mother. I made note of it in their notes on my data base. I also went to the state library and made photocopies of the front page of the newspaper in their home town (did not think to get a newspaper that day, other things on my mind! LOL). I will pass those off to them in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No boots in that second picture. I guess she changed for the ceremony. I noticed her stylish animal print coat in the first picture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Melissa,
      I still remember that coat!

      Delete
    2. Kathy, Beautiful people your parents. You never know where you will find tidbits to make a truly great history. Paul

      Delete
    3. Thanks everyone for the kind comments. I am blessed to have had them for parents.

      Delete
  4. It is amazing to see them leaving the alter, minutes into their new life together. There is no way they could know the legacy they were about to begin. What a great picture, Mom looks beautiful!
    Happy anniversary Mom and Dad! Don

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don,
      I so agree. I think that is the most amazing thing for me! Life events for the Joneses have certainly changed within one generation.

      Delete
  5. Such joy here, Kathy. And such a smile (which lives on in at least one Jones). You, your sisters and brothers surely blessed and enriched their lives.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation. Comments are appreciated and keep me motivated.