Monday, January 2, 2012

Winter Rivers


I was watching the local news here in Cincinnati and they reported that one of the reasons residents cite for why they like living in Cincinnati is that we have four seasons.  I count myself among those.  I am not satisfied if it is a "mild" winter without at least one or two good snowfalls.

We have had really strange weather in Cincinnati this year.  In an area that experiences about 44 inches of rain annually, we had more than 70 inches.  We always have at least some snow in December.  Today is the first day with we've had more than a dusting.  It is beautiful right now.

The collage above includes three pictures taken from the Little Miami Bike Trail -- one of my favorite places in the world.  My husband and I ride our bikes along it as frequently as possible.  The picture in the bottom left is a view of a bend in the Ohio River taken from the location of my Dad's first house.  It was torn down to build Columbia Parkway, one of the primary east-west corridors in Cincinnati.

Winter can be beautiful!  I intend to enjoy it.

15 comments:

  1. Happy New Year Kathy,
    This is my first time stopping by and appreciate your love of the seasons! I always wish for a more dramatic winter... snow is beautiful and your photos are lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How beautiful! One of my favorite things is snow around a river or creek. Thanks for sharing, you're lucky to have such beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kathy, loved your college and description of Cincinnati. I've never been able to remember where the Cs are in Ohio, but now know where Cincinnati is. BTW, I don't like winter (I'm in Massachusetts, and haven't had any yet).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd recognize those bike trail shots anywhere. Great photos.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We love riding bikes too...but oh, that looks cold! Happy new year! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoy winter too, as long as it doesn't reach into April. Beautiful photos. The river looks peaceful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow lovely!!! I miss the snow here!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know so little about your part of your country - it's lovely to have a view from your post.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Absolutely beautiful photos and scenery and the collage looks great. Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the photographs,Kathym of a part of the USA I know little about. Happy New Year and I look forward to more images through the seasons.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful photos, Kathy. Cincinnati is not the only place with odd weather. In fact I read that 2011 broke all records for catastrophic weather events from tornados to floods to drought. Everyone better get their head out of the sand--or they'll be buried in it. Hope you get your snow -- without a 2' blizzard. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful pictures! So jealous! I miss the four seasons!

    ReplyDelete
  13. As much as I long for spring, I do appreciate a good winter's snow. Your photos are beautiful! Thanks for sharing at MM. Have a very happy new year!

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation. Comments are appreciated and keep me motivated.