Monday, October 31, 2011

How I Love Halloween (And Made My Mother Pay for It)!

Roland, Ian and Liz
As many of you know, I am the oldest of seven children.  When I think back on my childhood, it didn't get much better than Halloween!  FREE candy! Costumes! Laughter! Racing from neighbor to neighbor at night!

The Halloween I will never forget happened when I was six years old -- one of the best ages for trick or treating.  A day before the annual ritual, I came down with chicken pox.  (My grandchildren will have to google it).  I was miserable.  If you can believe it, MY VERY UNREASONABLE MOTHER WOULD NOT LET ME GO TRICK OR TREATING!  Are you kidding me?  Well, I'd show her -- I probably remember that Halloween not so much for what I didn't get to do, as much as what I did.  I don't remember EVER behaving so badly.  I threw a tantrum.  I kicked. I screamed.  I blamed my mother.  It was her fault, wasn't it?

Well, now I'm 62 years old.  I still like Halloween, but I wish I didn't have to get up and down from the chair every couple of minutes to give candy to children I don't know, hoping to have just enough candy so my husband and I won't eat the leftovers.  Some of the costumes were cute and a few of the kids took me back in time, but I feel a little bah-humbuggy.

My Urban Cowboy, Ian






Maybe it would be better if I lived closer to my daughter's family.  They've sent me pictures.  How can these not get you in the mood?


Ian and Preschool Friends

Well it's now 7:32 -- less than a half hour to go. There was a lot of traffic at first, and I sent my husband for more candy -- candy that it now appears we didn't need. I hope your Halloween was a happy one and that you made a wonderful childhood memory for some little kid. Anyone for a Reese's cup?

2 comments:

  1. all adorable! I still love seeing all the cute costumes. it's one of the few times I have to just sit down with a book and read, knowing I can't do anything else for two hours and get up to give candy in between paragraphs! But I must say, seeing your own grandchildren would be thrill-ier. I had so much fun with my kids on Halloween -- all the different activities we participated in. such nice memories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Kathy -
    I've given you the One Lovely Blog Award. For details please visit http://nancysfamilyhistoryblog.blogspot.com/2011/11/one-lovely-blog-award-abt-march-2011.html to learn more about it and get the badge. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation. Comments are appreciated and keep me motivated.