Sunday, July 26, 2020

Back to Reality - July 25, 2020


Note: This post discusses the latest developments re: my breast cancer diagnosis. I'm writing it for my family and because I personally find it therapeutic to write about my journey. You may choose to skip this post if it has the potential to make you uncomfortable. You've been warned.

*********************************************************************************


A Short Recap

I went to see a plastic surgeon. After the last surgery, my cancer surgeon knew that this next surgery would involve a much deeper incision requiring reconstructive surgery. When I went to see the plastic surgeon, she was looking through some of the MRI images on her computer and became concerned. You could tell that she wasn’t convinced that the radiologist had read the MRI correctly. If you recall, they were surprised when they did the surgery that there was cancer in the underlying chest wall. The radiologist had determined that "Enhancement posterior to this mass, anterior to the right pectoralis musculature corresponds with a vascular structure without invasion of the right pectoralis musculature identified."

In layman's terms, this means that the radiologist felt the MRI showed a vascular structure (blood vessel) and that there had been no invasion of the chest muscle by the mucinous carcinoma. During the original surgery, it was discovered that there was extensive invasion of the skeletal muscle.

At this point, the plastic surgeon suggested that we request a second review of the MRI results by radiology. Following that review, I got a phone call from my cancer surgeon who said that, in addition to the invasion of the chest wall muscle with the carcinoma, there may also have been an invasion of the underlying rib and/or sternum. She was going to refer me to a thoracic surgeon. I will meet with him on July 28th.

Friday’s Update

My surgeon called me Friday and said that my case had been discussed in their multidisciplinary team  meeting. The following recommendations came from this meeting:

      1) They are going to have my tumor “oncotyped.” This test is designed to predict recurrence and whether chemotherapy would be a beneficial treatment.
      2) They suggested I have a CT scan to get a better look at the vessels within the breast. This has been scheduled for Monday.
3    3)  She knew I had an appointment with the thoracic surgeon on Tuesday and said she will be very interested in what he has to say. I then asked if after their meeting that they suspected that the mucinous carcinoma had “invaded” my sternum and a rib. She said it was all part of the original carcinoma when I asked her about the possibility of metastasis.
      4) The team suggested that I see a medical oncologist. I’ve already got that appointment set up for Wednesday.

So her final comment was that after they get all the information, the three surgeons will meet and come up with a surgical plan. She is still hoping to have the surgery scheduled by mid-August. It should be an interesting week.

1 comment:

Join the conversation. Comments are appreciated and keep me motivated.