Sunday, January 2, 2022

October 25th to January 2, 2022 - A New Year and New Optimism

 


Happy 2022! I can't believe I haven't posted for more than two months. There were many times I considered posting, but it was always delayed because there was a new test or new medication around the corner and things seemed to always be in flux.

Since my last post, I have had 19 separate doctor appointments. On October 25th, I had a "Guardant" blood test. The results proved that I have circulating cancer cells within my blood stream, although the originating location was not identified. Coupling this result with the fact that the last biopsy found "mucin" in one of the samples (I have mucinous carcinoma), my oncologist recommended that I start monthly fulvestrant injections along with Verzenio, an oral medication for metastatic breast cancer taken twice a day. 

In addition to three appointments with my oncologist, I had three counseling sessions, three sessions for IV fluids for dehydration, one appointment with my family physician, one with my radiologist (on the one-year anniversary of completing radiation), two with a critical care nurse, a CAT scan, Echocardiogram, and numerous blood draws. I also had my routine visits with my opthamologist and dentist. 

After six weeks on Verzenio, I pulled the plug. I was constantly dehydrated, fatigued and suffering from diarrhea. Blood tests showed that several of my levels were either too high or too low. My immune system was being compromised and my kidney function was taking a turn for the worse. Since stopping the Verzenio three weeks ago, my blood levels have improved. I've been able to ride my bike again and feel much better. I guess that is why I am finally able to write this post.

We just got through the Christmas season and New Year's Day. We had a wonderful dinner at the Kenwood Country Club on Christmas Eve thanks to my brother Don and his wife Frani. We had plans to join my daughter and family on Christmas Day, but that got cancelled. Both she and one of my granddsons had "bad colds." As it ended up, my daughter tested positive for Covid on the 29th.

This made it impossible for us to join in the celebation of Andrew's 10th birthday. I drove to Columbus to drop off his birthday present.



Nathan, Roland, Ian and Andrew


 

Unfortunately, Liz was in isolation and could only wave to me from her bedroom window.




 










The year 2022 is already looking good. Bill and I celebrated our 35th Wedding Anniversary on New Year's Day -- something neither of us thought we would ever see. Because of the new Omicron variant of Covid, we were unwilling to go out, so we ordered a great dinner for pickup from one of our favorite restaurants -- Cooper's Hawk. Of course, we ordered salmon.

After stopping the medication, I was able to put 54 miles on my bike on December days when it got warm enough to ride. I am looking forward to many more miles depending on the weather.

Once again, I feel blessed. It's a new year with new opportunities. I hope to take advantage of them. Wishing all of my relatives and friends all the best as the days begin to get longer.

Kath

No comments:

Post a Comment

Join the conversation. Comments are appreciated and keep me motivated.