Monday, July 11, 2022

July 11th - The Dreaded Health Update

 


Background

In June I was scheduled for both a bone scan and a CT scan to assess if my treatment plan needed to be adjusted.

The bone scan did not appear to have significant changes. The major difference is that previous reports did not mention "faint uptake in the medial left clavicle."


Next up was the CT scan. This wasn't quite as optimistic.



In previous studies, the radiologists have mentioned how difficult it can be to measure the "soft tissue mass." However, the radiologist noted that the mass had increased in measurement by 3 mm. Of more concern to me was the second sentence which noted that the mass "appears to extend through the chest wall and into the pleural space and is suggestive of invasive neoplastic process." He also noted that there was "worsening of the underlying pleural" and "extensive intrathoracic involvement." Here is a comparison of the March and June images:


My daughter, Liz, accompanied me to the followup appointment. The weekend before, I had my 70-pound bike fall on me as I tried to dismount. I tried to break the fall with my arm and had experienced a fair amount of pain over the following couple of days. This, in combination with the falls I had on our bike trip led my doctor to suggest that I no longer ride. I felt like crying.

She also ordered up an immediate brain MRI to see if the cancer had metastasized to my brain. Thankfully, it had not. However, the report did note "moderate chronic small vessel ischemic white matter disease." My limited reasearch indicated that this can contribute to balance issues in older adults." If I'm honest with myself, I know my balance is not quite what it used to be.


After reviewing these results, my doctor suggested that I consider taking Ibrance at a lower dose. She had a nurse educator call me. Among the side effects she mentioned were impacts on white blood, hemoglobin and platelet counts. You are more susceptible to infection and I'm to call if my temperature exceeds 104. It can lead to increased fatigue and poorer liver function which they will monitor carefully. In rare cases, the medication can lead to interstitial lung disease.

I had previously refused this medication because it is similar to Verzenio which I stopped due to side effects. I am stressed about what to do, although I said I would "try" it and see. Now I'm second-guessing this.

So there you have it. I think I'll let my mind travel back to Canada. Here is one of my favorite pictures from that trip.



Peace to all who are sharing in my journey. I appreciate you.

Kathy

3 comments:

  1. Kathy, how I admire that you are sharing this journey- the good, bad and the ugly. It takes an amazing strength of character. If we are honest with ourselves, most of us just don't have that trait. May you continue to enjoy and relish every moment you have. May you feel the peace and comfort of our Lord as you make decisions.
    I also hope that you can continue riding your bike, even if it's dramaticly limited. It keeps you going in more ways than one. Love you more than words can say.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing your health reports. Scans can look black and white as can physician’s words of caution. Those of us that know Bill and you know the optimism and strength you both exude and how you how you have been beating the odds. Keep you positive outlook and zest for life!! Sending our love.❤️❤️🙏🙏

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, just read your update! I hope you can get the best results possible! Miss seeing you at tri health!

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation. Comments are appreciated and keep me motivated.