Saturday, November 12, 2011

Honoring the Jones Boys on Veterans' Day

I have written about the service of my Dad (Johnny) and his brothers, "Bud" and Bob, in earlier posts. Yesterday my brother, Ted, asked me to post the pictures I have in my collection of my grandmother and grandfather standing on the steps of their Eastern Ave. home as each of their sons left for World War II. I've written before that I cannot imagine what it would be like to send each of my three sons off to war. I don't know how they did it.

In honor of Veterans' Day, I decided to go through my picture library and create a collage for my Dad and uncles to honor their service. Since "Bud," Uncle Charlie to me, was the oldest son, here is his collage. Notice the banner in the window. It has three blue stars representing each of the sons who served.

Fred, "Bud", Norine and Peg
Bob was the second oldest brother. The picture on the front porch includes Bob, Margaret Ann, Norine and Fred. I'm amazed how many pictures in my library include my grandfather posing proudly smoking a cigar. I don't know how they did it.

Bob, Margaret Ann, Norine and Fred
Finally, I was surprised that I do not have a "traditional" picture of my Dad on the front porch on the day of departure. He served in England during the war loading bombs on the planes that later were dropped on the Germans. I wish I knew more about his service.

In the top picture, Dad (Johnny) is the third from the left.  The middle picture shows him on base playing with a couple of dogs.  I can't help but wonder if they were permanent residents of the base.
So thank you, Jones boys, for your service. You were definitely part of "The Greatest Generation."

4 comments:

  1. What wonderful pictures! Not sure I could paint a smile on my face for the photos. Like you, it's hard to imagine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww!!!! This is so wonderful!!! Thank you!! OMGosh-I love the pictures! xooxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was drawn to your blog from Mosaic Monday. The Jones Boys is a term familiar to me as that is how my dad and brothers were known too. They were quite the lively bunch when together but to my knowledge only my dad served in WWII and his one brother in the Korean war.
    Nice to meet some other Joneses.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi my name is Peg Jones. My husbands family are from the Carolinas and Ky and yes several generations of the Jones boys were in the armed forces. My FIL was in WWI and I had three of my mother's brother in WWII. My grandparents had a banner just like that in their window. Great post.
    QMM

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation. Comments are appreciated and keep me motivated.