Tuesday, November 17, 2020

I DID IT!!! - October 20th to November 16th

On October 6th, I began 30 rounds of radiation. The first 25 focussed on my entire breast and the last five focussed internally on my chest wall where the tumor was trying to extend into my lung. To say I was concerned about radiation was an understatement. Based on my sister's experience (Karen), I was worried about the effects of radiation on my skin. My doctor, Dr. McCluskey, tried to assure me that with the proper mix of lotions, I would be OK.


On the day of my last treatment, the technician offered to take a picture (with the blanket pulled up) so I could try to share with you the monstrously large equipment that is involved. 

Try to imagine that this whole machine rotates all around your body. The two appendages on the right and the left open out and x-ray your body before the radiation starts to insure that you are in the right position. What appears to be a black pillow is actually a mold that was created to conform to your body so that your head and arms will always align exactly.

The radiation itself only lasts for a few minutes and is computer-driven. After the first couple of times, you know exactly the pattern the machine will take. In my case, the machine rotated completely around my body to the right and then to the left. This was followed up by the table moving to a new position for one specialized "hit." Your oncologist spends about a week coming up with your individualized procedure and then the plan is checked by a physicist.

Once a week my treatment was followed up by a visit with the radiation oncologist who would check the condition of my skin, answer questions and make recommendations.


Yesterday was my last treatment. I am so happy to have made it through. Hopefully, my skin will heal completely in the next couple of weeks. It's traditional to ring a bell at the completion of this phase of your treatment. All of the technicians and nurses were absolutely wonderful.

Since I don't need to have chemo (my tumor is not likely to respond to chemo), I have completed most of my treatment. In December I go back to the oncologist who would like me to start taking an estrogen blocker. This medication concerns me greatly. It can have very nasty side effects. I agreed to at least fill the prescription and try it.

November was a very challenging month as we are eight months into the Covid pandemic, and I am largely quarantined. I also had a crack in one of my molars, accompanied by a bacterial infection, that resulted in me having to get a root canal. Also, we just went through a presidential election that proved that our country is very divided politically. 

It is a stressful time for everyone as we all have "Covid fatigue." Bill and I will not be able to celebrate Thanksgiving with our grandchildren, as we are in the "high-risk" category and can't risk exposure to the virus. The good news is that it looks like there will be an effective vaccine available in the new year. I would so like to take a trip and have the opportunity to live this life that has been given to me.

Finally, yesterday I received many cards from friends and family congratulating me on getting through radiation. They were such a surprise and really uplifted my spirits. I know my daughter, Liz, had something to do with making this happen. 

One of my favorites arrived from my niece, Tessa. Knowing how much I love riding my bike, she hand-painted a bike. I actually felt good enough a couple of weeks ago to ride for the first time in nearly three months. It's starting to get much cooler, but this image will remind me of better days in the spring. Thanks to all of you who have shared my journey and have encouraged me to hang in there. I wish the best to all of you.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Join the conversation. Comments are appreciated and keep me motivated.