Monday, August 17, 2020

Cancer Update - August 17, 2020

 

So here is the presurgical update on my cancer journey. Since my last surgery on June 30th, it’s been a bit of a challenge. As discussed in an earlier post, they discovered that they did not get all the breast cancer. In fact, the radiologist had read the MRI incorrectly. The underlying chest wall muscle was affected as well as the sternum and possibly the ends of one or two ribs. This meant a series of meetings with additional surgeons, including a plastic surgeon and a thoracic surgeon. They also sent me to an oncologist.

I had a CT of the chest and the abdominal area. GOOD NEWS!  No additional cancer was discovered. I went to the Emergency Room last Saturday night with excruciating pain in my jaw. An abscess was ruled out, but they still suspected a possible dental issue. After following up with my dentist, trigeminal neuralgia was suspected. I had never heard of this condition, but it is caused by pressure on the trigeminal nerve that carries pain sensations from several parts of your head to the brain. Since I was already scheduled for a maxillofacial CT scan and a full bone scan the next day, he felt it best to see what those tests indicated.

Surprisingly, the CT scan showed that I had sinus disease with the most severe disease in the left maxillary sinus. There was also obstruction of the left ostiomeatal complex and mucosal thickening in both the left and right ostiomeatal complexes. In English, it sounds as if I had a bad sinus infection. I’m now on a course of antibiotics for this with a possible referral to an ENT post-surgery.

So having completed all of that, surgery is scheduled on Wednesday at Christ. I will have three surgeons: my breast cancer surgeon, a plastic surgeon, and a thoracic surgeon. I will be admitted into a cardiac step-down unit for one or two days. The thoracic surgeon will oversee my care because most of what needs to be done will be done by him. The plastic surgeon is responsible for any reconstruction that may be necessary. 

They still think my cancer is localized and there is no sign of metastasis to other areas. I will need radiation at some point, but there will be no need for chemotherapy as my specific cancer does not respond to chemotherapy.

So, as you can imagine, I just want this to be over with. Thank you for praying for me. As you know, due to Covid, I will not be able to have visitors during this time. We’ll talk on the other side.


1 comment:

  1. Hi Been following, just not always able to respond. Family serious illness here has kept me busy also.You have my prayers and best of wishes for all that you are going through. Susi Jones Pentico,1136 Nevin St. San Diego, Ca 92154. or SusiCP@cox.net
    Your biking adventure was awesome. Tell hubby I appreciate all he is doing also. Blessings;

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation. Comments are appreciated and keep me motivated.