Friday, August 7, 2020

Ohio to Erie Trail - Glenmont to Centerburg - August 1, 2020


We woke up Saturday morning to rain. Rain had not been forecast for early in the morning and we resigned ourselves to heading home. I suggested that we at least drive to where we had stopped the day before in Glenmont. It would take about 1 hour and 15 minutes to get there and it was in the direction we were heading.

Just as we arrived in Glenmont, the rain slowed down to a trickle. We decided to "got for it." This trail was going to take us through Danville and Mt.Vernon ending in Centerburg, the geographical center of the state of Ohio. We had been told that this was an incredibly beautiful part of the trail. The first part of the trail included a 3 1/2 mile gradual incline that our ebikes tackled with ease. Eight miles in, we encountered the Bridge of Dreams, a 370' long covered bridge.

While I was on the bridge, no fewer than 20 Amish people crossed the bridge on bicycles. Others crossed with their horse and buggy. I have to admit that this leg of the trip was my favorite so far. Although I've been in all kinds of environments all around the world, I will never truly feel at home unless the natural habitat includes deciduous trees, lots of green, rivers and streams.
I do not get to ride a lot of the trail, as my job is to assist in navigation and pick Bill and his bike up at the end of each day of riding. Luckily, this is part of the trail I got to ride, too. As you can see, we met
at the bridge. I included a picture of the view of the valley from the bridge.

Returning to the car, I had a wonderful talk with an Amish family consisting of the husband, wife, son and baby. The father had added electric batteries to two Schwinn bikes. The son rode behind his father on a one-wheel tandem attachment and the baby rode behind her mother in a cart. They had travelled the trail for about 30 miles for a getaway weekend and were on their way home.

Bill traveled on to Mt.Vernon, where we met for a quick lunch. From there it was on to Centerburg. He stopped and took a "selfie" next to a monument that marked the highest elevation on the Heart of Ohio Trail. Our three-day getaway was complete with Bill logging 145 miles.
Hopefully, we will be able to return soon.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Join the conversation. Comments are appreciated and keep me motivated.