Friday, August 14, 2020

The Erie to Ohio Trail - Lunken to the Ohio River - August 12, 2020

 




On this, the final day of our Erie to Ohio adventure, Bill returned to Lunken Airport where the trail links to the Ohio River Trail. As you can see from the map, not all of the trail is off-road. However, the city has added a bike lane from Kellogg Ave. along Riverside Dr. to downtown Cincinnati. 

We have ridden this road many times. The bike lane has really made this a safe route. It is special to me because it travels along the childhood home of my father and grandparents at 2424 Riverside Dr. It used to be Eastern Ave., but gentrification has led to renaming the road to one perceived to be more "upscale." Across the street from my Dad's home are million-dollar condominiums built on the site of what once had been my Dad's elementary school. You can't ride this stretch of road without feeling the presence of my Jones ancestors. You can read a lot more about my Dad's home by using this link to my blog about our Ohio River roots.

This last leg was a short seven miles. Our neighbor and good friend, Don Buchheit, accompanied us to the Public Landing for the obligatory wheel dip in the Ohio River.

Due to a couple of detours, Bill had ridden 352 miles over 9 days that began with a trip to Cleveland on July 20th. Mark one more item off of the Bucket List.



I do have one more incredible story to tell. That will be the subject of the next post. For now, it was off to Christian Moerlein for a celebratory toast.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Join the conversation. Comments are appreciated and keep me motivated.